My Dog Ate A House Lizard- 5 Things You Should Do
My Dog Ate a House Lizard |Updated 06-14-2023
It’s safe to say that most owners are concerned after discovering that their dogs have eaten a lizard.
This isn’t entirely uncommon, though. After all, dogs tend to put things in their mouths that they aren’t supposed to.
But what is there to be concerned about?
The answer to this will differ depending on the type of gecko or lizard your dog has eaten, something you’ll unlikely have the answer to unless you watch your dog eat it.
3 Areas of Concern if Your Dog Ate a House Lizard
Here are three things that may cause your dog to get sick from eating a lizard, along with their symptoms.
Salmonella is a bacteria usually carried on some lizard’s skin or guts.
This bacteria can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
While rarer, there are some lizard species out there that are poisonous.
These lizards are commonly found in desert regions and bite to inject their poison, so if you notice bleeding or swelling in your dog, stay alert.
- Glassy eyes
- Difficulty breathing
Lizards commonly carry intestinal parasites like Roundworm, Hookworm, and Pinworm, which can be given to your dog.
These parasites can cause many symptoms if they develop in your dog.
- Swollen abdomen
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Weight loss
These symptoms aren’t likely to show right when your dog eats the lizard but will present themselves over time.
5 Things to Do if Your Dog Ate a House Lizard
Now, if you notice these symptoms in your dog, there are five things you should do.
1. Monitor Your Dogs Symptoms
The first thing you’ll need to do is monitor your dog’s symptoms.
As we’ve said before, in most cases, you shouldn’t have to worry too much, and the worst thing that’ll likely happen is that your dog will simply barf up the lizard.
However, you should still monitor your dog’s symptoms. The moment you notice any concerning symptoms, get them to the vet, stat!
2 Keep Them Hydrated and Fed
If your dog has a light case of vomiting or throws up the lizard, a good thing you should do is ensure they’re well-fed and hydrated after the incident.
If your dog only throws up once, feed them bland food after 6 hours and keep water available for them.
However, if they keep throwing up, contact your vet as soon as possible, as something more serious may be afflicting them.
3. Contact Your Vet
Your vet should always be contacted the second you notice your dog’s symptoms worsening.
They’ll be essential to figuring out what’s really wrong with your dog, especially if you don’t know that your dog has eaten a lizard.
They can even help provide the right medication for the problem, whether it be fluids, deworming medication, probiotics, or vomiting induction.
Remember, you should never self-diagnose or self-medicate your dog without talking to a professional. Your guesses will most likely not lead to the right culprit or solution for your dog.
4. Get In Touch With The Pet Poison Hotline (If Needed)
Contact the Pet Poison Hotline immediately if you or your vet believe that the lizard your dog swallowed was poisonous.
It’s actually recommended that you do this if your dog’s gotten sick and you’re unsure of what your dog has eaten or how to approach it.
5. Attempt To Prevent This From Happening Again
It’s impossible to 100% prevent this from happening again.
However, there are ways to attempt to prevent it from happening.
- Keep your dog on a leash or harness while out walking or in environments outside your home with wild animals like lizards.
- Be aware of your dog’s location at all times, even when they’re in the backyard.
- Consider reptile repellent to minimize lizards coming into your yard.
- Teach your dog the “Leave it” command.
It’s normal to beconcerned when your dog swallows anything they aren’t supposed to, especiallywhen it’s a wild animal like a reptile.
The symptoms your dogswill have will depend on the type of lizard they’ve swallowed.
However, there are threethings a lizard can transfer to your dog that will lead to sickness.
You should always dofive things if you suspect your dog has eaten a lizard.
- Monitor their symptoms: if they get worse, a vet should always be contacted.
- Keep Them Hydrated and Fed: This is especially the case if they’ve beenvomiting or having diarrhea.
- Contact your vet: This should be your first reaction if symptoms worsen.Your vet can help pinpoint the problem and provide medications to fix it.
- Get in touch with the Pet Poison Hotline: If you suspect your dog has swallowed apoisonous lizard.
- Prevent it from happening again: Even though it’s impossible to stop your dogfrom eating lizards, lowering their chances of doing it can lower thelikelihood of them getting sick again.
Do you keep dogs and lizards as pets? You might want to check out our article about Dogs and Bearded Dragons
Pin for Future Reference
You might like these articles, too.
Dog Photography for the Pet Lover
To be great at dog photography, you don’t need to be a professional. Create stunning photos of your dog using these 7 simple techniques
Thinking about a Second Dog: Points to Consider
A second dog on the radar? Here are some practical tips to help you make that final decision.
Dogs and Cats Living Together: Best Advice for a Harmonious Household
When there are dogs and cats living together under one roof: How to make your multi-species household work.
Health Benefits of Dogs: 5 Powerful Ways Your Dog Makes You Healthier
There are many health benefits of dogs that include not only physical but emotional and even mental
Building a Dog Friendly Garden: Top Tips
Building a dog friendly garden is a priority if you have dogs. These tips will help you get started.